At the end of every school year, the Claire School of Dance offers two types of Parent Demonstration. For children in the Early Childhood Program, Creative Movement 1, 2 or 3 or ages 3 and 4, parents are invited to attend the last class of the year. Every student receives a fairy crown at the beginning of the Parent Demonstration class. The teacher then leads the class through a regular class to show parents what the students have learned over the course of the year. The class ends with the presentation of a rose to each student and the taking of class photos by the parents.
Students in preballet and above (Kinder and older) participate in the Parent Day Demonstration, performance held at the theatre of St. John’s School. Normally, CSD selects a classical composer to highlight. In 2017, with the cancellation of our New York Nutcracker due to renovations in the theater, we will be changing our format. In 2017, CSD will present a brand-new show: Bonjour Paris! This production will have all the features of our New York Nutcracker: costumes, back stage portraits, and performance gifts.
Rehearsals for the Bonjour Paris! (also known as “the recital”) begin in February. We will distribute information sheets and collect performance fees at that time. Parents are asked to let the teacher know if they have a conflict for the performance date as the number of students will affect the choreography for the performance piece.
The performance date for Bonjour Paris! will be Sunday, May 21st. Run-through rehearsal for the entire cast will be Saturday afternoon, May 20th.
There is a $150 performance fee for Bonjour Paris! This helps cover the considerable cost of the theater, costumes, and professional services. We do have a scholarship fund to ensure that every child is able to participate. The fee includes two free tickets to the performance.
We will ask for volunteer moms to sit with students during the rehearsal and performance.
What Parents Need to Know
- Click here to download the updated Parent Information Sheet issued April 28, 2017. Click here to download the 2017 Bonjour Paris! Guidelines for Parents. Click here to download the 2017 Permission Slip.
- All students enrolled at the Claire School of Dance at the primary level or higher are given roles to perform in Bonjour Paris!
- Participation is on an “opt out” basis. Parents must notify the office VIA EMAIL or written communication by March 1st if they do not wish their child to participate. Failure to notify the office that a child is “opting out” may result in the assessment of the performance fee.
- There will be a $150 performance fee for each performer. ($200, if student does a second dance.) This helps cover the cost of costumes and other performance expenses. Each child receives two free tickets as part of her performance fee.
- No child will be denied the opportunity to perform due to lack of funds. A scholarship fund is available to help cover the cost of the performance fee.
- Scholarship requests should be made by March 1st.
- Payment of the performance fee is due by March 1st.
- Costumes remain the property of the Claire School of Dance.
- In order to respect the time of parents, most rehearsals will take place during regular class times.
- There will be one general run-through rehearsal Saturday May 20th, the day before the performance, also at St. John’s School. ALL performers MUST be present at this rehearsal as it will be the only time all performers rehearse together.
- The general run-through rehearsal will take place 1:00 to 3 pm at the Lowe Theatre of St. John’s School, Westheimer at Buffalo Speedway.
- Some students may be asked to participate in “spot” rehearsals the morning of Saturday, May 20th.
On the day of the show:
- Parents leave their children at the theatre 9:30am Sunday morning, with a bag lunch. Dress rehearsal will start at 10:30am.
- All children will be under adult supervision at all times. Children are welcome to bring books and crayons.
- The performance starts at 2:00pm and runs about one hour.
- Flash photography is NOT permitted during the performance.
- We will have a professional photographer both backstage taking individual and class portraits as well as taking photos of the performance. Parents will be sent a link and instructions on how to order photos.
Tickets, t-shirts,bouquets, and DVDs:
- Tickets are $10 for children and $15 for adults. Tickets go on sale May 6th.
- T-shirts are $20. Order sheets will be placed in each waiting room. All orders must be placed by May 6th.
- T-shirt and ticket orders may be picked up starting Saturday, May 20th, at Grace United 10 a.m. to noon or at the theatre during the run-through rehearsal Saturday afternoon.
- Bouquets are a lovely ballet tradition. CSD offers a special performance bouquet for $15. Sign up sheets will be posted in the waiting rooms. Orders may also be emailed to our office. Bouquets can be picked up at the box office one hour before the performance.
- DVDs are $25. Orders must be placed by May 22nd. The recording will be mailed to the parent home address.
St. John’s Theatre has 600 seats – plenty of room for all your friends.
- We look forward to a brand-new experience of Bonjour Paris!