At the end of every school year, the Claire School of Dance offers two types of Parent Demonstration. For children in the Early Childhood Program, Creative Movement 1, 2 or 3 or ages 3 and 4, parents are invited to attend the last class of the year. Every student receives a fairy crown at the beginning of the Parent Demonstration class. The teacher then leads the class through a regular class to show parents what the students have learned over the course of the year. The class ends with the presentation of a rose to each student and the taking of class photos by the parents.
Students in preballet and above (Kinder and older) participate in the Annual Recital, a performance held at the theatre of St. John’s School. The theme of the 2019 recital is All You Need is LOVE, using music, images, and events from the 1960s.
Rehearsals for the All You Need is LOVE! (also known as “the recital”) begin in January. Information sheets and permission slips will be distributed the week of December 10th and are due by January 19th. Parents are asked to let the teacher know if they have a conflict for the performance date as the number of students will affect the choreography for the performance piece.
Due to theatre availability, our recital date this year is April 7th. Run-through rehearsal for the entire cast will be 2-4 p.m. Saturday afternoon, April 6th. Some classes may have rehearsals Saturday morning. That schedule will be announced in March. PERFORMANCE GUIDELINES will be emailed to parents and posted here in late March. HERE. The HAIR instruction sheet can be found HERE.
There is a $150 performance fee for All You Need is LOVE! This helps cover the considerable cost of the theater, costumes, and professional services. We do have a scholarship fund to ensure that every child is able to participate. The fee includes two free tickets to the performance.
We will ask for volunteer moms to sit with students during the rehearsal and performance.
What Parents Need to Know
- Click here to download the 2019 All You Need is LOVE! Guidelines for Parents. Click here to download the 2019 Permission Slip.
- All students enrolled at the Claire School of Dance at the primary level or higher are given roles to perform in All You Need is LOVE!
- Participation is on an “opt out” basis. Parents must notify the office VIA EMAIL or written communication by January 19th if they do not wish their child to participate. Failure to notify the office that a child is “opting out” may result in the assessment of the performance fee.
- There will be a $150 performance fee for each performer. ($200, if student does a second dance.) This helps cover the cost of costumes and other performance expenses. Each child receives two free tickets as part of her performance fee.
- No child will be denied the opportunity to perform due to lack of funds. A scholarship fund is available to help cover the cost of the performance fee.
- Scholarship requests should be made by January 19th.
- Payment of the performance fee is due by January 19th.
- Costumes remain the property of the Claire School of Dance.
- In order to respect the time of parents, most rehearsals will take place during regular class times.
- There will be one general run-through rehearsal Saturday April 6th, the day before the performance, also at St. John’s School. ALL performers MUST be present at this rehearsal as it will be the only time all performers rehearse together.
- The general run-through rehearsal will take place 2-4 pm at the Lowe Theatre of St. John’s School, Westheimer at Buffalo Speedway.
- Some students may be scheduled for “spot” rehearsals the morning of Saturday, April 6th. That schedule will be announced in March.
On the day of the show:
- Parents leave their children at the theatre 9:30am Sunday morning, with a bag lunch. Dress rehearsal will start at 10:30am.
- All children will be under adult supervision at all times. Children are welcome to bring books and crayons.
- The performance starts at 2:00pm and runs about one hour.
- Flash photography is NOT permitted during the performance.
- We will have a professional photographer both backstage taking individual and class portraits as well as taking photos of the performance. Parents will be sent a link and instructions on how to order photos.
Tickets, bouquets, and DVDs:
- Tickets are $10 for children and $15 for adults. Tickets go on sale March 30th.
- Ticket orders may be picked up Saturday, March 30th, at Grace United, 10 a.m. to noon or at the theatre during the run-through rehearsal Saturday afternoon.
- Bouquets are a lovely ballet tradition. CSD offers a special performance bouquet for $25. Sign up sheets will be posted in the waiting rooms. Orders may also be emailed to our office. Bouquets can be picked up at the box office one hour before the performance.
- DVDs are $25. Orders must be placed by April 9th. The recording will be mailed to the parent home address.
St. John’s Theatre has 600 seats – plenty of room for all your friends.
- We look forward to a brand-new experience of All You Need is LOVE!